To earn the Master of Science in computer science, you must complete 36 course credits, including five core courses that total 15 credits. After completing your core courses, you may then choose one of two options for the reminder of your program:
- Applied research option: Choose this option if you crave hands-on experience.
- Graduate thesis option: If you prefer to explore and analyze a problem in computer science, choose the thesis option.
You must develop a program of study plan in consultation with your advisor, according to the following requirements:
- You must complete a minimum of 36 credits, excluding prerequisite courses, at Bowie State University. No more than six graduate computer science credits may be transferred from other institutions or Bowie State University programs outside of the Department of Computer Science.
- You must complete all degree requirements within a period of seven consecutive years.
- If you have a strong undergraduate computer science background, you are encouraged to substitute required courses with more advanced electives. To make these changes, you must have written permission from a graduate advisor and department coordinator.
- The following course is a prerequisite: COSC 503 Software Design and Development. Credits obtained from this course cannot be counted as part of a student's graduation requirements.