1. Definition: SMARTHINKING is a virtual tutoring service coordinated by the Academic Support Unit in Academic Computing; it is not a substitute for campus tutoring centers and it is not a homework and editing service.
2. Purpose: SMARTHINKING is primarily intended for undergraduate course support up to courses at the 500-level for specific subjects.
3. Student Preparation: To optimize the use of service time and emphasize content focus, students must be prepared for their sessions with specific topics and/or questions.
4. Content & Priority Access: Priority access is given to those students enrolled in courses for these topics:
- Math: Basic Math Skills, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Calculus II
- English: Freshman Writing
- Selected Stem Subjects: Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics
- Health Sciences: Introduction to Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Business & Economics: Accounting, Economics, Introductory Finance
- Statistics: Statistics, Advanced Statistics
Note: Instructors are strongly encouraged to notify students of SMARTHINKING availability in courses supported by the tutoring services.
5. Online Writing Lab Support: Submissions to the Online Writing Lab is equivalent to one 30-minute tutoring session (under 5 pages) or two 30-minute tutoring sessions (up to 10 pages). This service is intended for undergraduate students. Graduate students who require writing support should seek assistance through department-specific resources.
6. Term Utilization Limits: Students may use SMARTHINKING on an average of one session per week during the semester for up to 8 tutoring hours (approximately 16 tutoring sessions).
7. Student Account Authentication: Students who use SMARTHINKING must authenticate their Bulldog accounts through the learning management system at BSU Online. Account usage is monitored monthly.
8. Misuse Penalty: Students who misuse or abuse SMARTHINKING services, including allowing non-BSU students to use the service or repeatedly failing to cancel scheduled appointments, will lose access for the remainder of the semester.