Mary Gladys Jones ('38)
Mary Gladys Jones is a proud 1938 graduate from Bowie State University, formerly Bowie Teachers College, receiving a degree in education.
Jones had a 42-year teaching career at Morris Street Elementary School, built in 1912, and is the only surviving teacher from that school. Because of her loyalty and untiring service in elementary education, she also founded the Fruitland Community Center in 1984, which provides free after-school programs for children. She has volunteered thousands of hours at the community center, impacting more than 1,500 students who have benefited from the love, support, education and mentoring that has enriched their lives.
A street in the Fruitland community was renamed in her honor in 2018, celebrating her work as a local educator and community servant. Jones also received the prestigious Salisbury Award that year for dedicating her entire adult life to the education and well-being of children. The Salisbury Award is the Fruitland community’s oldest civic award and recognizes “service that has been the greatest benefit to the happiness, prosperity, intellectual advancement or moral growth of the community.”
One of the oldest living Bowie State University alumna, Jones has been a dedicated lifetime member of the Bowie State University National Alumni Association, Inc. for more than 50 years.