July 31, 2020
Mandatory COVID-19 Testing & Delayed Start of Phase Two
Bowie State University will delay the start of Phase Two of our Return-to Campus Plan to Monday, Aug. 10 because of a new requirement for all faculty, staff and students to get a COVID-19 test before returning to the campus. Just yesterday, University System of Maryland (USM) Chancellor Jay Perman issued a new directive requiring all employees and students of USM institutions to be tested for COVID-19 before returning to the campus to provide a unified standard of precaution.
If you are an employee, who is scheduled to return to on-campus duties and already approved to work on site, you need to complete a COVID-19 test by Friday, Aug. 7.
Mandatory COVID-19 Testing
All employees and students must get tested before returning to the campus to comply with the new USM directive. Students must be tested within 14 days of returning for any on-site university activity. Maryland COVID-19 testing sites are listed online with information for each location.
Here is how to report your results:
- Employees: Please notify Human Resources by email when you have taken the test and when your results are received at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students: Report your COVID-19 test result to the Henry Wise Wellness Center either by uploading it onto the Wellness Center Patient Portal, emailing to email@example.com faxing it to 301-860-4179.
This enhanced testing requirement builds on the robust, multi-layered strategy of safety precautions the BSU has in place. Employees and students have already begun daily symptom screening and reporting to continuously monitor for COVID-19 among the campus community, with additional screening at campus entrance for those not approved for Phase One access.
Other safety measures implemented include:
- The requirement of a mask or face covering for entry into all campus building at all times and outside when 6 feet of physical distancing is not possible
- Installation of Plexiglas barriers at office reception and service desks, professor teaching stations, computer labs and other spaces where social distancing may be difficult
- Enhanced cleaning of high-traffic public spaces by housekeeping staff multiple times per shift
- Provision of a personal BSU Cares packet, with a mask, thermometer and sanitizing gel/wipes for every employee and student, as well as face shields for key groups on campus
- Provision of hand sanitizer and wipes throughout the campus
- Campus-wide COVID-19 safety signage with entry and exit directions
- Dining to-go and delivery service for students and employees and dining hall tables configured for up to four people with social distancing
We are continuing to be vigilant in the planning process to take every precaution to protect the health and safety of the BSU community. Everyone has a role to play in first assuring your own personal health and adhering to the safety measures to protect others.
Thank you for your continued cooperation. To review the BSU Fall 2020 Return-to-Campus Plan, visit the COVID-19 web section. Faculty, staff and students with questions or comments about COVID-19 planning and response should send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.