Residence Hall Move-out Process
Good Afternoon Residents,
Bowie State University has been and will continue to closely monitor the evolving developments involving the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). To best support the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and to protect the health of our campus environment, the University, based on the guidance by the CDC to limit large gatherings, has determined a need to fully close all on-campus housing by April 18, 2020.
We understand that most of our residents may have valuables within the residence halls and we ask that you begin working with your families/guardians to (1) make your travel arrangements, and (2) schedule a time to come back to campus to retrieve your belongings. We recognize that these are unprecedented times; however, we ask for your patience and flexibility. Our goal is to make this move-out process as smooth as possible for you and your families.
Please follow these steps to assure a smooth move-out process:
- Move-out is scheduled Monday- Saturday beginning on Monday, April 6, 2020 through Saturday, April 18, 2020.
- To limit the number of people on campus at the same time and still try our best to accommodate you in removing personal items under these difficult circumstances, we ask that you please sign up and schedule a time in which you can come to campus and retrieve your belongings
How to Schedule a Move-out Time
- Students must sign up for an appointment slot for move out.
- There are ten (10) slots available in each building for each move-out appointment.
- Appointments for move out will be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday up until April 18, 2020.
- During your appointment you will have access to the building for 2-hours. We ask that you arrive at the beginning of your appointment to maximize your time and move out as swiftly as possible.
- We ask that you limit elevator use to one family at a time, and we recommend that you wash your hands often while moving out, and practice good social distancing (6 feet) from others in the hallways. You will only have access to the building during the time you signed up to move out your belongings.
- In order to reduce the spreading of germs, we will not be providing carts as we could not physically disinfect after each use. You are encouraged to bring your own items to assist you in taking items out. Thank you for understanding as we try our best to keep our environment as safe and healthy as possible.
- You will find a personalized key envelope on your door for express check out. Please fill out the remainder of the envelope and bring to the front desk for drop off. There you will find a stapler for your convenience to seal the envelope before placing it in the designated drop box.
- If anyone is feeling ill, we ask that you stay home to reduce any risk. Students are allowed to bring two healthy helpers to assist with their move out. If you have been exposed or are symptomatic, please email us at email@example.com and we will work with you to schedule a move-out time for 2 weeks following your exposure or symptoms.
- All student mail and packages will be available for pick up at Central Receiving and the Mailroom.
- Students with mail or packages should sign up for a move out appointment between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM on a weekday so that they can also visit the mailroom to retrieve their mail. Any unclaimed items will be returned to sender.
Refund of Room and Board
The university is fully focused on the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff and helping our students transition to remote learning so they can successfully complete their academic courses this semester. Decisions about prorated financial adjustments for room and board will be communicated at a later date.
Petition for Emergency Housing
Housing & Residence Life will be working with students who face an extreme hardship in finding alternative housing for the remainder of the semester. If you believe you are a student with extreme hardship and have no alternative options available, please fill out the form here by Tuesday, March 31st at 5pm. Requests will be reviewed, and determinations will be communicated within 72 business hours of submission.
How to Contact Us
Students in traditional halls with questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students in Christa McAuliffe should contact the Management Office at email@example.com.
We understand this is a stressful time for everyone. The Residence Life Office is still here for you. Your Resident Director will be reaching out to you over the next few weeks to support you and help connect you with resources and information as we transition.
Office of Residence Life