I. Policy and Purpose
Bowie State University (BSU) shall develop for approval by the President, grading symbols and other notations to be used on academic transcripts.
A. Scope: The appropriate grading symbol(s) shall be used on all graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
B. Eligibility: All full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate students.
C. Responsibility: The instructor will be responsible for assigning the appropriate grading symbol.
III. Guidelines and Standards
The following grading symbols and other notations shall be used on academic transcripts by BSU:
- A........ Superior (4.00 points)
- B........ Very Good, Above Average (3.00 points)
- C........ Average (2.00 points)
- D........ Poor/Below Average (1.00 point) [not used for graduate courses]
- F......... Failure (0.00 points)
- S........ Satisfactory (0.00 points)
The following letter marks also may be used:
- U........ Unsatisfactory (0.00 points)
- I.......... Incomplete (0.00 points)
- PS...... Pass (0.00 points)
- CR..... Credit for Experience (0.00 points)
- AU..... Audit (0.00 points)
- W....... Withdrawal (0.00 points)
- “Honors” recorded on the transcript indicates student in the Honors Program.
- REXC- Courses repeated and excluded from calculation of GPA.
RINC - Courses repeated and included in the calculation of the GPA.
- Students may repeat a course for the purpose of increasing mastery in a course where such is necessary for successful performance in a subsequent course or for meeting major requirements or for improving their grade point average.
- No course may be repeated more than twice except upon the advice of the academic advisor and with approval of the chair of the department in which the student is pursuing a major. In any case, only the higher/highest grade received in a repeated course will be included in the student grade point average.
A clearing system for grading and monitoring student academic progress.
V. Exceptions and Deviations
Effective Date: 02/07/2002Revised Date: 06/25/2012