These tests will determine the most appropriate English and math courses that match your current knowledge and skills. You will then be placed in college-level courses or developmental courses to help you succeed at Bowie State University. You must register for sessions on the NSO web site.
You must take the test if you are:
- A first-year freshman student. You must take the Placement Test before talking with your academic advisor and registering for classes.
- A transfer* student who did not transfer English composition with a "C" or better. You must take the English Placement Test.
- Any student who doesn't have an associate's degree is required to take Math Placement Testing. You must take the Math Placement Exam before being permitted to register for classes.
- An in-state transfer student who has an associate’s degree. You are not required to take a Placement Test.
*If you are a transfer student, it is important for you to check with the Admissions Office at 301-860-3415 to find out which test you are required to take before you register for classes.
Students who have a disability and who need special accommodations for testing should call the coordinator of Disability Support Services at 301-860-4067.
What to Bring
If you have been admitted to the university and have registered for the Placement Test, you must bring a current photo ID, your student ID number, and two No. 2 pencils to the testing site. Electronic devices, calculators, and personal items (book bags, purses, etc.) are prohibited.
Preparing for the Placement Test
We’ve created a page with additional information while you prepare for your Placement Test, administered by ACCUPLACER. You’ll find information about the test, how it works and links to practice questions.
- Review About the Test for descriptions of the specific ACCUPLACER tests administered at Bowie State University.
- Prepare for the Placement Tests using these additional tips and tutorials.
You may only retake the writing, mathematics, and reading sections of the Placement Test once. All retesting must be completed within two weeks of your initial placement testing date. Call University Testing Services at 301-860-3295 to make an appointment to take the test a second time.Study Guide for Practicing Before You Retest
To obtain a study guide and additional placement prep resources please visit our Tutorials and Tips page.