What is a Hate-Bias Incident?
Generally, hate-bias incidents are acts characterized by some expression of hate or bias against a particular group, or towards an individual because of their membership (or perceived membership) in that group. Hate-bias incidents may range from acts considered to be offensive to actions that cause harm.
Although hate-bias incidents sometimes constitute hate crimes or discrimination (as defined under the University’s Non-Discrimination Policy), not all hate-bias incidents rise to the level of a hate crime or discrimination.
What is a Hate Crime?
A hate crime is a criminal act (against person or property) that is motivated, in whole or in part, by the offender’s hate or bias towards a particular individual or group because of membership in that group (as defined by law).
Report a Hate Bias Incident
To report an incident of hate-bias you may contact Bowie State University Police Department (BSUPD) (including emergencies), by emailing email@example.com calling 301-860-4040 or report online to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) at 301.860.3390 or emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Response to Hate Bias Incidents
- Report will be taken by BSUPD or VPSA (will forward to BSUPD) as soon as it is received.
- Receiver will acknowledge receipt of the report and review within 24 hours.
- BSUPD will offer a verbal acknowledgement and conduct an investigation.
- VPSA will provide electronic acknowledgment.
- Inform and consult with relevant campus administrators regarding any necessary and appropriate action.
- VPSA will consult with individuals affected by the hate-bias incident and formulate an action plan in coordination with Hate-Bias Response Team.
- BSUPD will maintain a log of hate-bias incidents on a webpage that will be updated as reports are received. Periodic (opt-in) e-mail announcements regarding newly reported hate-bias incidents will be sent to campus community.
Campus Resources for Hate Bias Incidents
Bowie State University Police Department
Receives and assesses all hate-bias incident reports. Investigates reports of hate-bias incidents by gathering details, collecting evidence, sharing information with law enforcement partners, and consulting with legal experts.
Emergency: 911 or (301) 860-4040
Non-emergency: (301) 860-4050
Office of Equity and Compliance
Receives and assesses all hate-bias incident reports. Responds to all complaints of discrimination based on a legally protected class.
Thurgood Marshall Library
Office of Vice President for Student Affairs
The VPSA receives all hate-bias incident reports, and coordinates provision of campus support services to individuals affected by hate-bias incidents. Provides campus programming in collaboration with other campus units to foster prevention efforts and facilitate responses to hate-bias incidents.
Hate Bias Coordination Team
BSUPD Bowie State University Police Department (Chief of Police)
OVPSA Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (Vice President for Student Affairs)
OEC Office of Equity and Compliance (Director)