Dr. Daryl B. Stone
CPU Camp Founding Director
Computer Science Building – Office 319
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, Maryland 20715
Computer Programming for the Under-represented (CPU) Camp
Virtual Summer Camp
Where: Virtual Sessions via Blackboard Collaborate and Zoom
Dates: Monday, June 21, 2021 - Friday, July 2, 2021
Time: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Computer Programming for the Under-represented (CPU) is a summer program for middle and high school young men that provides innovative technology education to young men in the Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia areas.
- Must be a middle or high school boy aged 12 to 17
- Have an interest in computers and excelling in school
- Committee will select 20 students, per camp (MS & HS), based on teacher recommendation and most recent report card
- Students will not be considered for camp until you submit BOTH the teacher recommendation and most recent report card.
- Virtual sessions are FREE with limited available spots.
- Participants will be notified by June 1, 2021 of acceptance to the camp.
- REGISTRATION IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF ACCEPTANCE TO THE CAMP!
- Introduction to computer programming
- Cybersecurity, Computer Programming, Computer Networking and other STEM topics
- 3D Modeling and Animation
- Algorithm design and logical thinking
- College life and Time management
- Guest Speakers (BSU President, Provost, Dean, Chairperson and various experts in the field)
- Daily STEM Presentation with Kahoot Quizzes
- Camp Competition (Camp Leaderboards tracking participation)
- Being a scholar and a gentleman
- 10:00 AM Middle School Instruction & Kahoot Quiz
- 11:00 AM High School Instruction & Kahoot Quiz
- 12:00 PM Lunch on your own & Independent Code.org time
- 1:00 PM Guest Speaker via Zoom– “Top One @ One!
- 2:00 PM -Camp Ends – Campers “homework”: Complete the Daily – “Career’s in Computing” PowerPoint Assignment
How to Apply
- Complete the Application Form Step 1 of 3 - Online CPU Camp Registration Form.
- Please have one of your child’s teachers to email a recommendation to email@example.com. Please have them address your child’s 1) Academic performance, 2) interest in STEM, 3) conduct in class and 4) any other attributes they wish to share.
- Please email your child’s most recent report card to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students will not be considered for camp until you email BOTH the teacher recommendation and most recent report card.