Department of Fine and Performing Arts
Consistent with the University's overall mission, the Department of Fine and Performing Arts is dedicated to providing a comprehensive and holistic education that will produce empowered graduates prepared to meet the challenges of their discipline, stay abreast of technology, and embrace diversity. The Department fosters community outreach that perpetuates an overall appreciation of design, visual arts, media arts, music, dance, and theatre and their recognition of their places in the academe and beyond.
- To provide a progressive and rigorous curriculum with activities that ground students in the arts holistically, as well in their specific areas of concentration.
- To recruit retain and graduate academically sound and diverse student populations.
- To encourage individual creativity and experimentation in interdisciplinary activities, arts as a business and in overall aesthetics.
- To cultivate critical thinking through individual and collective examination of quality in the arts and aesthetics.
- To offer the most current technological advances employed in art, visual communication, music, dance and theatre.
- To expose students to a variety of cultural experiences that enhances their artistic repertoire and develops their appreciation for diversity.
- Through partnerships, alliances and/or collaborative experiences, increase departmental support and visibility.
- To foster on the campus and in surrounding communities an appreciation of the arts as a cultural force in society.
- To strengthen viable human and fiscal resources and maintain accountability to both the university and the public
To be recognized as a higher education leader in producing quality artists who are diverse and grounded in the knowledge and experience of creativity, progressive research and community service.
- Promoting the highest quality in teaching, creative expression, research and service
- Encouraging, with integrity and ethics, individual expression, interpretation and experimentation
- Perpetuating a spirit of collaboration with various communities
- Encouraging diversity in faculty, students, staff and in departmental experiences
- Facilitating critical thinking, technology fluency, and information literacy