Through an initiative with The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security to increase the pool of locally educated cyber security professionals, BSU has been designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education. This work is achieved impart through the Center for Cyber Security and Emerging Technologies (C2ET) which provides educational, research and training opportunities in network and information security to both students and faculty.
C2ET also engages in outreach to the broader community. It embodies the joint efforts of the Department of Computer Science, the Department of Technology and Security and the Department of Management Information Systems at BSU.
More specifically, C2ET:
- Provides undergraduate and graduate education, as well as training in cyber defense education to those interested in improving the protection of information resources.
- Conducts basic and applied research to enhance the security of information resources.
- Coordinates the campus wide educational, research, outreach and policy activities related to cyber defense.
- Consolidates access to information on academic programs and research in the discipline of information security.
- Provides information and guidance to government, industry, non-profit organizations, and individuals who are attempting to solve information security problems.
- Serves as the primary BSU interface with the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regarding the requirements and obligations that support the University's designation as a center of academic excellence in cyber defense education.
Bowie State University (BSU), a member of the University System of Maryland, strives to be a comprehensive regional university with a continued commitment to its historical heritage and with the critical goal of achieving excellence in computer science and information technology education.
BSU has been designated, through the year 2020, as a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
Plus, In 2011, our Information Assurance courses were certified as compliant under the Committee on National Security Systems, specifically the CNSS 4011 and CNSS 413E standards.
The Computer Science and Computer Technology degrees are accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, and the College of Business degrees under the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. These efforts are an affirmation to the University's commitment to the long-term success of cyber defense education.
Cyber Defense Programs
The Department of Technology and Security offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Technology with a track in Computer and Network Security.
The Department of Management Information Systems offers a Master of Science in Management Information Systems with a concentration in Information Assurance.
Faculty and students are conducting research in computer and network security, privacy and trust. Drs. Seonho Choi, Bo Yang, and Azene Zenebe, with their students, are spearheading this effort.