The Bowie State University STAR (Superb Teachers Achieving Results) Program cultivates highly effective 21st century educators, equipped to excel in communities facing distinct challenges, like social emotional learning, equity and poverty.
Interested candidates can choose from two pathways:
- Pathway 1: Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a science- or math-focused discipline can work in a secondary school teaching STEM, specifically in chemistry, mathematics and biology
- Pathway 2: Applicants with any type of undergraduate degree will be screened to determine their eligibility to teach elementary education, with a STEM focus
- Free textbooks and other course materials
- Free laptop
- Living stipends
- Micro-credentialing in teacher leadership
- Program cohort support
- The STAR Program is a full time graduate program with coursework that has various teaching platforms ,e.g. weekends, weekdays, online and evenings.
- All program participants must commit to teach for three years in a high-poverty school in the District of Columbia, Prince George's County or Dorchester County, after successfully completing the program.
Select one of the following microcredentials as part of the MAT degree program:
- STEM (ONLY applicants without a STEM degree who will be in the ELEMENTARY certification pathway)
- Leading Differentiated Instruction (for SECONDARY certification pathway only)
- Inclusion, Equity & Access (for SECONDARY certification pathway only)
- 21st Century Learning (for SECONDARY certification pathway only)
- Instructional Technology (for SECONDARY certification pathway)
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA)
- Successfully passed the Praxis: Core Academic Skills for Educators examination is preferred (required before the end of the degree program to achieve teacher certification in Maryland)
- Available to participate in a year long internship over two consecutive semesters, full time-field experience in a designated public school in the District of Columbia, Prince George's County, or Dorchester County