The Curriculum Laboratory is housed on the second floor of the Thurgood Marshall Library, Room 2210. The Laboratory supports the mission of excellence in teaching, learning and research of Bowie State University, School of Education and the Thurgood Marshall Library.
The diverse material found here, support instruction in professional development and teacher education of undergraduate, graduate students of the School of Education. These are in both print and non-print format. Education Faculty uses the Laboratory which also houses the SMART Classroom facility, for teaching and demonstrations on electronic pedagogy to student teachers.
Both basic and supplementary educational material to support curriculum planning is housed here. These are:
- Reference works such as children's and general Encyclopedias, general Indexes and dictionaries
- Sample textbooks, used in area school systems
- Children's literature collections; fiction and non-fiction for grades K-12 as well as ethnic diverse literature and award winning Newbery, Caldecott, Coretta Scott King and others, titles
- Curriculum software packages such as games, puppet theatre, diversity and multi-disciplinary instructional materials
- Children's periodicals and indexes to children's literature
Subject guides (LibGuides)
- Award Winnig Children and Youth Book/Media
- Culturally Responsive Teacher Leadership
- Educational Leadership
- Elementary Education
- Reading Education
Special Services: Besides the SMART Classroom; the newly renovated laboratory also provides a large work area for simulated classroom situations. For class use, please submit your request from Curriculum Laboratory Room Request Form.
Subject specific library information literacy classes and research methods in education disciplines are provided upon request from the faculty. Please submit your instruction request from the LIbrary Instruction Request form. A reference librarian will contact you by e-mail or phone to confirm your request. A week notice is required for scheduling and preparation for the library instruction classes.
Curriculum Lab Hours
- Open by appointment only. Please contact the Circulation Desk at 301-860-3870
Yetunde Akinkunle - 301-860-3859