In keeping with Bowie State University’s movement to online education as a preventative response to the spread of the COVID-19, the BSU Writing Center will only be offering online tutoring the Fall 2020 semester. Our online tutoring is live/real-time and can be booked at the same online website. Based on your preferences and equipment, these sessions can include video, audio, and/or live chat.
After booking an online appointment you can meet with your tutor by logging back in to your account and clicking on "Start or Join Online Consultation." We recommend you log in to your account about five to ten minutes before the start of your appointment and make sure you and your equipment are ready for a productive session.
Here is a short video from Aniya on how to register and book an apointment with our Writing Center. If you need more information here are three more detailed videos where Jannah walks you through registering and booking an appointment, shows you how to join your session and use the platform's tools, and offers some advice and tips to help ensure you have a successful experience.
We have a few suggestions to help make your online tutoring session more successful. If possible (and we understand it might not always be possible!), we highly recommend you:
- Upload any/all of the following documents (attach documents when you book your appointment or afterwards by clicking on “edit appointment”):
- your writing assignment/prompt
- any draft(s) you might have completed
- a grading rubric from your professor
- Use a computer with...
- a reliable internet connection
- a video camera
- a microphone
- Have any textbooks/resources you might need ready at hand
As always, WC rules and policies still apply to online sessions:
- If tutees are 15 minutes (or more) late to a session, they will be marked as a "no-show" and may be subject to rescheduling
- Tutors and tutees must abide by the student code of conduct and have appropriate online behavior