The Writing Center is now 100% Online!
Yes, we're still here for you!
In keeping with Bowie State University’s movement to online education as a preventative response to the spread of the Coronavirus, the BSU Writing Center will only be offering online tutoring. Online tutoring will be live/real-time and will be booked at the same online website.
While a few things might be new, such as our remote live/real-time tutoring sessions...
...much remains the same at the Writing Center, such as:
- The same friendly faces
- The same flexible hours
- The same online website
- The same great feedback
Learn More About Our New Online Sessions
Grow as a Writer
The Writing Center at Smith Vidal Literacy and Language Center helps students become more effective and confident writers. Our goal is to engage the University community in conversations about writing. Growth and learning are the intended outcomes for each conversation.
Our writing consultants can assist you through all stages of the writing process with any type of writing task. Whether you are concerned with organization, development, formatting, documentation style or other conventions, we can help. Our consultants, however, will not edit or revise your documents; you are ultimately responsible for your own writing.
What We Offer
- One-on-one online tutorials (live/real-time)
- Small group sessions
- Group workshops
- Short in-class visits
- Writing and grammar resources
We Help Students
- Understand writing assignments
- Overcome writing challenges
- Develop and research essay topics
- Document research in MLA and APA styles
- Become more confident and effective writers
- Sessions are by appointment and last up to 50 minutes.
- Sessions will only be as successful as the amount of effort you put into them.
Appointment Procedures for Online Sessions
- Log onto our Writing Center Appointment Scheduler
- Register for an account
- Sign in to choose an online appointment time
- Submit your essay draft or writing sample, if available
- Met your consultant by logging back in to your account and clicking on "Start or Join Online Consultation"
Need some help with registering or making an appointment? Watch our quick video on registering and booking appointments.
How to Have a Successful Online Tutoring Session
We have a few suggestions to help make your online tutoring session more successful. If possible (and we understand it might not always be possible!), we highly recommend you:
- Upload any/all of the following documents (attach documents when you book your appointment or afterwards by clicking on “edit appointment”):
- your writing assignment/prompt
- any draft(s) you might have completed
- a grading rubric from your professor
- Use a computer with...
- a reliable internet connection
- a video camera
- a microphone
- Have any textbooks/resources you might need ready at hand
As always, WC rules and policies still apply to online sessions:
- If tutees are 15 minutes (or more) late to a session, they will be marked as a "no-show" and may be subject to rescheduling
- Tutors and tutees must abide by the student code of conduct and have appropriate online behavior