In these challenging times we have transitioned to online and operating remotely. The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs is committed to keeping our services up and running in light of the Coronavirus pandemic. Learn more about our operational status.
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) provides pre-and post-awardassistance for all externally sponsored programs to Bowie State University. As part of its ongoing efforts, the ORSP assists the university community in identifying and pursuing potential funding opportunities. Also among its pre-award responsibilities, the ORSP provides assistance in proposal budget development and proposal review and submission. The office reviews and signs off on all proposals to external sponsors. All subcontracts that involve sponsored projects are reviewed, negotiated, and executed by the ORSP. When awards are received, the ORSP is responsible for grants management and compliance. Staff will assist the Principal Investigator/Program Director (PI/PD) with completing budget forms and will work with administrators and others to resolve grant related problems. The ORSP staff approves all grant expenditures. Any changes to funded projects are communicated to the sponsors through the ORSP, and all project closeouts are coordinated through the ORSP. The ORSP reviews and advises the university on matters involving new or revised Federal and state laws, rules, and regulations.
- Assist faculty and staff throughout the pre- and post-award processes for grants and contracts
- Provide resources to help faculty and staff
- Identify pertinent funding opportunities for research, creative work, and scholarship
- Assist with proposal development and collaborative project development
- Provide faculty and staff information on University and sponsor policies and procedures
- Administer and sponsor pertinent workshops and other training sessions for faculty and staff
- Review grants and contracts
- Submit proposals to external funding agencies on behalf of the University
- Provide award management and award close-out assistance in collaboration with the Grant’s Accounting and Budget Offices
What We OfferPre-Award
Our goal is to encourage faculty and staff to participate in external funding activities. ORSP sends out notices of external funding opportunities and deadlines, presents workshops on proposal development and other related activities, and assists applicants with proposal preparation and submission. The assistance includes management of Bowie State University's (BSU) proposal process and proposal sign-off by authorized BSU representatives.Post-Award
ORSP promotes and supports the effective management of external awards. The office in partnership with the controller's office, sets up new grant awards, participates in the training of new principal investigators, and provides post-award management services. ORSP, in conjunction with other university offices, provides technical assistance with policies and procedures that promote compliance with the laws, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to the management of government and private funds.