Bowie State University is a constituent institution of the University System of Maryland, which is an agency and instrumentality of the state of Maryland. As a state institution, BSU is self-insured through the State Treasurer’s Office for most claims, subject to limits proscribed by the Tort Claims Act. Get more information concerning the state’s insurance program.
The BSU Insurance Office falls under the Division of Administration and Finance in the Office of the Vice President. The University insurance coordinator is Mr. Jabari Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University insurance coordinator is responsible for obtaining, evaluating and validating insurance information to verify property damage and/or injury claims and process the necessary claims with the State Treasurer’s Office for resolution. The Coordinator is responsible for other insurance matters such as meeting requests for liability insurance, process professional liability for students and manages the information required to obtain premiums (athletic accident, fine arts, etc). In his absence, any insurance concerns can be handled by Ms. Marsha Swindell, email@example.com.
Please however keep in mind that not all insurance related questions or matters are managed by the BSU Insurance Office. This page is intended to address most of the University’s insurance categories and direct you to the appropriate office/department.
The Director of Risk Management is responsible for analyzing and controlling the University’s risk exposures and limiting losses to human, financial, and physical assets. The Director tracks the Risk Management progress through setting goals aligned to the University’s strategic plan, defining and monitoring metrics, and reporting to leadership. Additionally, the Director develops and provides education and training to create a culture of risk awareness, and promotes Risk Management and Compliance standards and best practices across all levels of the university.
- Legal claims or questions: Office of the General Counsel at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletic accident or injury insurance: Caitlin Lovend, Associate Athletic trainer at: Clovend@bowiestate.edu
- Employee injuries on the job: Anjanette Evans, Human Resources Manager of Benefits and Wellness at email@example.com
- Conference and Event services: Chandra Hicks-De' Jesus, Acting Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transportation Services: email@example.com
- Campus Safety: 301-860-4040 (for emergencies or immediate assistance), 301-860-4050 (for administrative/insurance questions)
- Risk Management issues or concerns:Director of Risk Management at firstname.lastname@example.org