- The LEED Platinum certified Center for Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Nursing was completed in April 2017 and received LEED platinum in March, 2019. See the sustainable features of the building.
- A green plaza referred to as the Student Center Quad was developed in place of the old Crawford Science Building.
- Student Center achieved LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold Certification in Spring 2014, the first campus building to receive such certification and the first Student Union/center with such certification among all HBCUs.
- The Student Center features: a green roof and water gardens, a trayless cafeteria, and other energy saving measures.
- The BSU football field was upgraded from natural grass to artificial turf, thereby saving in the cost of constant watering.
- Completion of a Carbon Footprint Inventory of the campus to help BSU gauge the amount of carbon emission it produces and uses this yearly inventory to assist in alleviating carbon emissions throughout campus
- Energy dashboards installed in Student Center and CNMSMN. See real time data here.
- University has retrofitted most water fountains on campus for bottle usage
- Electric car chargers are installed as part of the Parking Lot D solar project
- BSU Bikeshare program created to cut down on campus vehicular traffic and provide a healthy means of recreational enjoyment
- BSU Cycling Cub started by former Green Ambassador is the first organization to adopt a portion of the trail at Horsepen Park under the MNCPPC Maryland- National Capital Park and Planning Commission
- University partners with Zipcar program which utilizes hybrid fuel
- University added fuel efficient multi-passenger vehicles to existing fleet of hybrid and electric vehicles
- Multi-recyclers were placed in each on campus residence hall rooms allowing students to gather recyclables from their rooms and deposit them in the campus recycle containers.
- Recycle bins were added to lobbies of all academic buildings
- Students participate in yearly Recyclemania national college competition.
- Annual Shred Day events to securely destroy paper documents and the paper is recycled. Learn more here.
- Implemented an university wide ink cartridge/toner recycle program.
- BSU hosts the installation of the world’s first solar charging bus station called the SolGreen® Casini™ Power Hub located on campus between MLK and CBGS buildings
- The University has installed a large-scale solar panel system with the help of WGL Energy which includes 4 site locations expected to generate 2 million kWh of electricity per year or roughly 10 % of the campus needs.
- BSU has also worked with General Electric utility company to install additional solar panels on the rooftops of the Student Center and FPAC buildings which may add roughly 2% of the campus needs. The usage can be monitored on the solar energy dashboards.
- Construction is almost complete on Parking Lot I which includes a large scale solar canopy. This will account for about 7% of the campus energy needs.
- University purchased Solar energy Smart Tables in various locations across campus for charging electronic devices using 100% solar energy.
- A solar heating system was installed in the school’s swimming pool.
- Undergraduate students elected to implement a yearly sustainability fee in 2012. Learn more about the Green Fund.
- Graduate students agreed to add a yearly sustainability fee in 2013.
- BSU established an Earth Week Program with various green & sustainable events throughout the Earth Day week.
- BSU created annual ‘Earth Day’ Poetry Slam
- Student Green Ambassador group was created to work with C4 in its efforts.
- Campus hosts an Annual Food Day Symposium in conjunction with EPA and/or county agencies
- Students have access to Sustainability Libguide, an online library resource for sustainability
Other Notable Accomplishments
- HBCU Green Report 2014 listing BSU
- President signs White House Act on Climate Pledge (2015)
- President signs the Climate Leadership Commitment (2016)
- A host institution for the 2016 AASHE Conference (Baltimore MD)
- BSU Students assisted in collecting data for a major local climate study & survey (2016 - pdf)